Posted on 03/31/25
| News Source: FOX45
Baltimore, MD - March 31, 2025 - Maryland school leaders are facing what they are calling "catastrophic" cuts in federal funds.
Maryland State School Superintendent Carey Wright revealed Monday morning that late Friday, the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) was told by the U.S. Department of Education that they would not be sending Maryland $360 million that federal officials had committed to Maryland.
At a Monday morning press conference, Wright said, “Shock does not begin to describe our reaction when we received notification late Friday evening.”
Wright said it jeopardizes over $400 million in funding. The money was post-COVID relief funding.
Delays in spending had been approved because of supply chain issues. Wright said the impact will be most deeply felt in Prince George’s and Montgomery counties, along with Baltimore City.
MSDE has alerted the school districts to stop spending on a variety of programs funded by the money. They include high-intensity tutoring, counseling, as well as school construction.
Superintendent Wright said, “The USDE’s decision is catastrophic. These funds have been spent or committed with every expectation of reimbursement. The federal government must keep its word to students, educators and families.”